The project won't run

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Please use the discussions here to ask questions.

There were several inquiries for the project not running at first run. Here is some explanation:

You have to choose multiple startup projects. One is CloudVideoConverter (the Winforms Application) and the second should be CloudFFMpeg (the Windows Azure Worker Role that actually converts the files). You can set multiple startup projects from the Solution properties window. Right Click on the Solution, select Properties, then from Common Properties -> Startup Project, select "Multiple Startup Projects. And choose the CloudFFMpeg and CloudVideoConverter.
Please not that this is still a beta, and some changes will be introduced soon. It is good to clear the queues and blobs before runing the project locally. You can use AzureStorageExplorer.codeplex.com to monitor your storage and clear queues and blob containers.

The next error you might face would be "The Speficied blob does not exists" and that error would be for the ffmpeg.exe not found in the designated place. You have to get the latest version of executable and put it in a container named "sys-files" and the name of the exe there shall be "ffmpeg.exe". These both values are configurable from the service configuration file.

Now you shall not have any more errors. If you do, please write here.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I have two questions:

1. How to get the ffmpeg.exe? I went to the FFmpeg download site: http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/download.html but I don't know what to download of all the options? I tried to download from FFmpeg Releases: FFmpeg 0.8.5 "Love" - bzip2 tarball - but it contained a lot of strange files, but I failed to locate a ffmpeg.exe file.

2. How to create a container in VS? I guess a container is different from a folder, right? Well I simply have never tried to create a container in VS. My web search has not yielded any tutorial on this matter, you know any good resources?

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Hi,

1. You need the Windows Builds (http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ - link is provided on the page you are refering) - get the latest Static 64 bit build (currently: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/static/ffmpeg-git-8475ec1-win64-static.7z). In the 7z file thre is BIN folder, from which you need just the ffmpeg.exe). The reason I don't icnlude the EXE with the source and sample is that it is executable file, and I don't want to introduce any kind of threat for any of you.

2. You can use either Azure Storage Explorer (http://azurestorageexplorer.codeplex.com/) or the Cerebrata's Cloud Storage Studio - http://www.cerebrata.com/Products/CloudStorageStudio/. Yes, container is different than folder. You may have folder within a container. By the way, all required containers are automatically created by the source code upon initial launch of the application, regardless of the result (fail or success launch). The logic in the code looks for the containers and creates them if they don't exists. So you may first run the application, it will fail. Then use any of the ntoed Storage explorers to upload the ffmpeg.exe to the sys-files container.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Hi astaykov

Thank you for your instructions. I was now able to use your app. But according to my experience it is not very stable to say the least.

I tried to convert a video 5 times (I gave the app 6 minutes to complete the job) but only 1 time did the conversion succeed.

The videos I tried with was Wildlife.wmv (25 MB) which is the sample video from Windows 7. The other videos was .mp4 videos downloaded from youtube which was from 792 KB to 7 MB.

The only video I managed to convert was a 7 MB .mp4 video, it was then turned into a 4 MB .flv video.

So far your code does seems to unstable for my system. Further in my system I am accepting multiple videos with Uploadify.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hi,

I'm glad that you were able to run the application. About performance - are you running everything on your local dev mashine, or deployed? If deployed what is the size of the Role instances you create? The solution converts the Wildwife in less than a minute when deployed to a Small Compute instance in Windows Azure.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hi astaykov

I am running everything in the development environment on my machine. It's a quite quick machine I think (Intel Core i7-2630QM.)

As said only 1 out of 5 did the conversion succeed, there was then a pop up where I was asked to choose a temporary folder.

My project is just a university project. In my project an ASP.NET MVC web role uploads multiple video files with SAS and Uploadify. I am then storing the blob URIs in the SQL Azure database via a WCF service role.

So far it looks for me a bit too complex for me to try and implement video file conversion in my system, so it looks like I will properly give it up.

Thank you for your assistance.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Hi astaykov, 

I don´t know how to deploy the application in Windows Azure. I´m new at this, so, what I have done, is packed the cloud project and upload a new implementation through the management platform with the configuration and definition files created when packing the cloud project. Now, just one worker role instance gets up, and I´m not sure how to show a GUI (to select the file and others), cause there´s no web project. So, I haven´t seen the application really working on the cloud. I really appreciate if you help me understand this.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM
pandora2011 wrote:

Hi astaykov, 

I don´t know how to deploy the application in Windows Azure. I´m new at this, so, what I have done, is packed the cloud project and upload a new implementation through the management platform with the configuration and definition files created when packing the cloud project. Now, just one worker role instance gets up, and I´m not sure how to show a GUI (to select the file and others), cause there´s no web project. So, I haven´t seen the application really working on the cloud. I really appreciate if you help me understand this.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you manage to run it locally? Did you download the ffmpeg.exe following previous posts in this thread? If you've managed to run it locally, then you are quite a few steps before running it in the cloud.

Yes, there is not web role, since the GUI to select files for convertion is Winforms based - it is one of the projects in the solution, which is not part of the Cloud project. You simply run it. But if you want to go live with it, you have to configure it with your actual storage account details.

Please make sure you run it locally, and then start a new thread if you still have issues running it in the cloud.